Tuesday, March 1, 2022

BRDL 37

3/1/22 - BAOR- Baltimore Oriole

Love these birds. They are beautiful, as is their song. I can never quite seem to remember their song until I hear a spring bird singing away, and then track down the bright orange at the top of a tree. I didn't know that they were named because their orange and black colors mirror that of the Baltimore family crest (of Lord Baltimore fame) although the crest looks a lot more yellow and black to me, than orange.

I've often thought about putting out oranges to attract them to feeders, although I also learned that they don't frequent deep woods, preferring tall deciduous trees near more open land or forest edges. Not sure if our wooded house would fit the bill, although I have seen them at the reservoir, a half mile away.

By Mdf - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4106444



No comments:

Post a Comment

BRDL 48

  3/12/22 -  COHA - Cooper's Hawk Almost missed this BRDL as well -- went through CORA, COPA, COSA, COGA, before landing on Cooper's...